Location within Creek County, and the state of Oklahoma
Kiefer was originally known as "Praper" when a post office was first established in 1901. The St. Louis, Oklahoma and Southern Railway (later the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway) constructed a line south from Sapulpa through Praper between 1900 and 1901. It became anoil boom town by 1906, when it became a major shipping point for crude from the Glenn Poolfield. The post office was renamed "Kiefer" on December 12, 1906.According to theEncyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, the name honored at least one of three different people named Kiefer who lived in the area.
Kiefer voted to incorporate on November 20, 1908. The 1910 census reported a population of 1,197 inhabitants. This increased to 1,663 in 1920.
Kiefer is located in eastern Creek County at U.S. Highway 75A passes through the center of the town, leading north 5 miles (8 km) to the center of Sapulpa, the county seat, and south 5 miles (8 km) to Mounds.Oklahoma State Highway 67 leads east from Kiefer 3 miles (5 km) to the U.S. Route 75 freeway in Glenpool. Via Highways 67 and 75 it is 18 miles (29 km) north to downtown Tulsa. (35.943993, -96.059565).
According to the United States Census Bureau, Kiefer has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.1 km2), of which 0.02 square miles (0.06 km2), or 1.04%, is water.
Kiefer has an elementary, middle and high school. The school team is the Trojans.