Kinta is a town in Haskell County, Oklahoma, United States. The name Kinta is the Choctaw word for "beaver."The population was 297 at the 2010 census, an increase of 22.2 percent from 243 at the 2000 census.
Location of Kinta, Oklahoma
Kinta was founded in 1901 by George W. Scott, son-in-law of Greenwood McCurtain, the last chief of the Choctaw Nation before Oklahoma became a state. Scott named the town for nearby Beaver Creek, and moved his store to Kinta from San Bois. He also established a post office in his store and built the first permanent building in town in 1903. San Bois was then the Choctaw capital, but had been bypassed by the Fort Worth and Western Railroad.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
During the first three decades of the 20th Century, the town economy was supported by coal mining and the production of wood products. When these two industries declined sharply in the 1930s, the railroad ceased operations. The town nearly failed with them. The town survived somehow, and by the start of the 21st Century, the major employer was the Kinta Public School System.