|Lake Alfred, Florida|
Location in Polk County and the state of Florida
The area known as Lake Alfred was founded by snowbirds escaping the cold of Fargo, North Dakota. They at first named the settlement after their hometown, but the Post Office protested after a series of mix ups with the town of Largo. The town then became Chubb and later Bartow Junction because it lay at the junction of a road leading south into the county seat Bartow. Finally, in 1913 it took the name Lake Alfred after Alfred Parslow, an early settler. In 1917, the State of Florida established the first off-campus center for the University of Florida in Lake Alfred, the Citrus Experiment Station to study ways of improving citrus growing. Today this location is known as the UF/IFAS Citrus Research and Education Center.