Leakey is a city in and the county seat of Real County, Texas, United States. The population was 425 at the 2010 census.
The city is named for John H. Leakey (1824-1900), a pioneer from Tennessee.
Leakey depends heavily on tourism because of the existence of the nearby Frio River andGarner State Park. The Alto Frio Baptist Encampment is located to the southeast of the community.
Real County Courthouse in Leakey
Location of Leakey, Texas
|Coordinates: 29°43′31″N 99°45′41″W|
Archaeological excavations in the Frio Canyon region revealed Paleo-American, Archaic, and Neo-American occupations. Later, several Native American tribes, including Lipan Apache, Comanche, and Tonkawa inhabited or traversed the area.
Anglo-American settlement of the area began in 1856 when John Leakey, his wife Nancy, and a few others settled near a spring along the banks of the Frio River. Shingles and lumber were produced from the abundant cypress and cedar trees. In its first few years, the community was a lonely outpost that was subject to frequent Indian raids, which continued until 1882. Growth accelerated after the Civil War as new families arrived. In 1883, A.G. Vogel moved a post office from the community of Floral to Leakey. That same year, theTexas State Legislature created Edwards County and designated Leakey as the county seat less than a year later. 1883 was also the year that the area's first school was established on land donated by the Leakeys.A new school building was completed in 1890. In 1891, the Edwards County seat was moved from Leakey to Rocksprings. During the early 1900s, ranching superseded lumber, cotton cultivation, and corn production in importance to the local economy. The raising of Angora goats was a major component of the ranching industry. In 1902, the school in Leakey had a total enrollment of 102 students. The town's population was estimated to be 318 in 1904.
Real County was created from parts of Edwards, Bandera, and Kerr Counties in the spring of 1913, with Leakey as the county seat. In 1919, Real County Judge Ed Kelly established the Leakey Independent School District. By the mid-1920s, the population had declined to around 120. A larger school building was completed in 1930. Soon after, several nearby schools, including West Frio, Cypress Creek, Rio Frio, Exile, Stanford, Dry Frio, and Harper were consolidated with Leakey schools.
Leakey was formally incorporated on June 11, 1951. The population fluctuated during the latter half of the 20th century. Leakey was home to 450 people in 1960, 393 in 1970, 468 in 1980, and 399 in 1990. By 2000, there were 387 residents living in Leakey, representing a 3.01% decrease in population since the last census was conducted in 1990.