Mullins is a city in Marion County, South Carolina, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 5,029. Incorporated on March 4, 1872, Mullins was named after Col. William S. Mullins, who served as a representative for Marion County in the South Carolina State Legislature from 1852 to 1866.
|Mullins, South Carolina|
|Nickname(s): "The City of Opportunity"|
On March 4, 1872, the charter was approved for the town of Mullins. The same year the Macedonia Methodist church was established, the first church within city limits. By 1878, the city of Mullins had a population of seventy-five people, a total of twelve families. There were only three stores and four unpaved streets: Railroad, Main, Smith, and Gapway Streets.
In 1894, the growth and sale of tobacco sparked the further development of the city of Mullins. In 1895, tobacco was sold for c17.13 a pound, a good price. Mullins became the largest distributor of tobacco in the country, known as "South Carolinas Largest, The world's best tobacco market." In the late 1920s the tobacco festival was started and is still celebrated today.
Mullins' first school was established in 1872, which was attended by boys and girls from the town, nearby rural areas, and neighboring counties. The first schoolhouse was built in 1904; a brick, two story building on Academy Street. A second schoolhouse was built in 1913, on the corner of Main and Academy streets. Mullins High School was built in 1923 on North Park Street where it stood until burning in 1976. It was rebuilt on Millers Road, outside of the city limits. McCormick Elementary School was built on Sandy Bluff Road in 1956. The original Palmetto School for Negroes (High and Elementary) was built on Cypress Street in 1919 and around 1956 was split up. The Palmetto Elementary School was built on Broad Street. The Palmetto High School was built on O'Neal Street with 1970 being the last graduating class. It became Palmetto Middle School as it remains today.
In 1970 all schools were combined into a fully integrated school system.
In 1910, the public library was established. The current library, located at the corner of N. Main and Wine Streets, was built in 1940.
The A.H. Buchan Company Building, Dillard Barn, Imperial Tobacco Company Building, Liberty Warehouse, Mt. Olive Baptist Church, Mullins Commercial Historic District, Neal and Dixon's Warehouse, Old Brick Warehouse, Rasor and Clardy Company Building, and J.C. Teasley House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Mullins is located at (34.205239, -79.255309).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.0 square miles (7.8 km2), all of it land.