New Caney is an Unincorporated community in Montgomery County, Texas, United States within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytownmetropolitan area. In 1980, population reached estimated 8000.
New Caney was established in 1862 under the name Presswood, named for its founders, pioneers, Austin and Sarah Waters Presswood.Captain John Robertson and other settlers followed, and cattle ranches, mills, and stores were opened along Caney Creek. In 1877, the town received a railroad from the East and West Texas Railway, and Caney Station became a shipping point for imports and exports, bringing more business to the area. In 1882, Presswood received its first post office, registered under the name New Caney, as the name Caney already was in use by another Texas town. This development led to the name of Presswood falling out of use, as New Caney became the preferred term.
In 1884, the population of New Caney was sixty people. By 1892, it had grown to 150 residents and was able to support several general stores. Throughout the 20th century, the community continued to expand.
Public schools are operated by the New Caney Independent School District. New Caney High School is the district high school. The New Caney Independent School District area joined the North Harris Montgomery Community College District, now Lone Star College, area in 1981. Montgomery County Memorial Library System operates the R. B. Tullis Branch Library at 21569 Interstate 59.