|New Ellenton, South Carolina|
Location of New Ellenton, South Carolina
New Ellenton was formed from the citizens of Ellenton, a farming town chartered in 1880 and situated on the Charleston and Western Carolina Railway in Barnwell County near the Aiken County line. Upon the approval of President Truman in 1950 of the Savannah River Site for the production of hydrogen bombs, the U.S. government forced 6,000 people in the surrounding area to move. The residents of Ellenton literally moved their homes and buildings 14 miles (23 km) north to New Ellenton after being evicted in the 1950s.
New Ellenton is located at Aiken, the county seat, and south 1 mile to U.S. Route 278, which leads west 17 miles (27 km) to Augusta, Georgia, and southeast 24 miles (39 km) to Barnwell. (33.421311, -81.680856) in southern Aiken County, about 1 mile (1.6 km) north of the U.S. Department of Energy Savannah River Site. South Carolina Highway 19 is Main Street for the community, leading north 10 miles (16 km) to
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.8 square miles (12.4 km2), all of it land.