Location of Ochelata, Oklahoma
This settlement was founded about 1898 by Thomas Ellis, who had bought 40 acres from a Cherokee land owner named Jacob Dick. Ellis named the community Otis. It was renamed Ochelata in November 1899 to honor Cherokee Principal Chief Charles Thompson, whose Cherokee name was Oochalata. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway reached Ochelata in 1899. A post office was established March 23, 1900, and the town of Ochelata was incorporated in 1902.
Ochelata School District was consolidated with Ramona, Vera, and Oglesby to become the Caney Valley School District. The Elementary school is located in Ochelata and the Administration, Middle school and High School are located in Ramona, OK. In 2013-2014, the old Ochelata School building was renovated and placed back in service with classrooms.
Ochelata is located at (36.600251, -95.980475).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), all of it land.
Ochelata is home to Lucas Metal Works, a manufacturing company who manufacturers their own line of steel buildings, metal roofing panels, farm equipment, and The Ground Hog Arena Tool, which is used annually at the National Finals Rodeo (NFR).
Totah Communications, Inc. Was incorporated in 1954 as Totah Telephone Company,incorporated in Ochelata. The headquarters is still located on the SW corner of Ochelata and Main St. Totah is a provider of high quality Communications services including Broadband to rural areas in NE Oklahoma including Ochelata and areas of rural SE Kansas.