Oglethorpe is a city in Macon County, Georgia, United States. The population was 1,200 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Macon County. It was named for Georgia's founder, James Oglethorpe.
|Oglethorpe, Georgia, USA|
Oglethorpe municipal building in Oglethorpe
Location in Macon County and the state of Georgia
Oglethorpe was founded in 1838. In 1857, the seat of Macon County was transferred to Oglethorpe from Lanier. Oglethorpe was incorporated as a town in 1849 and as a city in 1852.
Oglethorpe was once one of the largest cities in southwestern Georgia. A malaria and smallpox epidemic wiped out most of the city's population in the early 1860s and the remaining residents in Oglethorpe fled south to Americus
Oglethorpe is located at (32.293328, -84.062616). (0.04 sq mi) of it (1.46%) is water.
The Macon County School District holds grades pre-school to grade twelve, that consists of one elementary school, a middle school, and a high school. The district has 129 full-time teachers and over 2,200 students.