Adair is a town in Mayes County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 790 at the2010 census, compared to 704 at the 2000 census. Named for two prominent Cherokeebrothers, the town was established in 1883 and opened a Cherokee school.
A farm in Adair, Oklahoma
Location of Adair, Oklahoma
|Coordinates: 36°26′13″N 95°15′45″W|
Adair is named after two Cherokee brothers, William Penn Adair and Dr. Walter Thompson Adair. It was established on March 15, 1883, and incorporated in 1897. William Penn Adair lived in the area off and on for 17 years beginning in the late 1860s.
In the 1880s, a Cherokee school was started, and opened up to white students around the time of Oklahoma statehood in 1907.
Adair lies 10 miles (16 km) north of Pryor, Oklahoma on U.S. Highway 69 in Mayes County, Oklahoma.The city lies in the northeastern portion of the state known as "Green Country" and is not far from the borders of Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas. Adair's geographic coordinates are (36.436910, -95.262546) with an elevation of 640 ft (200 m) above sea level. According to theUnited States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 4.5 square miles (12 km2), all of it land.
Adair is served by the Adair Independent School District.