Harper County Courthouse (2007)
|Motto: "Proud History Bright Future"|
Location in Harper County and the state of Oklahoma.
In 1907, the town was "staked out" and a post office was established with the name Buffalo, which was derived from nearby Buffalo Creek. In 1908, a county seat election gave title to Buffalo and it was incorporated in the same year. Buffalo's founders issued instructions for all buildings to be built of stone, thereby many of those structures survived the test of time.
The Harper County Journal, consolidated from the Buffalo Republican and the Harper County Democrat, has been published weekly since 1924. Other early newspapers included the Buffalo News, the Buffalo Bugle, the Buffalo Republican and the Post. Doby Springs, a lake and park eight miles west and two miles north of Buffalo, is city-owned and provides a water supply. The population peaked in 1960 at 1,618.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Buffalo has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all land.The city lies in the northwestern corner of Oklahoma at the Panhandle's eastern entrance, along U.S. Highway 183/64, twelve miles south of the Kansas state line. It is thirty miles northeast of the Texas state line and 174 miles northwest of Oklahoma City.
Buffalo School District oversees primary and secondary education.