Location of Cherokee within Oklahoma
After the land opening of 1893, developers wanted to attract railroads to build through the former Cherokee Outlet to transport the large wheat crops to markets. The Kansas and Oklahoma Construction Company, through its subsidiary, the Cherokee Investment Company, bought 100 acres (40 ha) along its route, platted the town called Cherokee, and held a lot sale on February 9, 1901. Cherokee incorporated in July 1901. Two years later, the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad (later owned by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway) built a line through Cherokee. People from the nearby community of Erwin, which already had a post office of that name, moved to Cherokee for access to the railroad. The post office was renamed Cherokee in March, 1903.
Cherokee became the county seat when the state reorganized counties. Once part of Woods County, Alfalfa County was created. The county is named after Alfalfa Bill Murray.
Cherokee is located at United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all of it land. (36.754163, -98.355283). According to the
Cherokee has one high school, which was rebuilt after being heavily damaged by a fire during the 1981-1982 school year. The school mascot is Cherokee Chiefs.