The B. B. McKinney Chapel is located on the grounds of the Falls Creek Baptist Conference Center in Davis and is named in honor of Baylus Benjamin McKinney, the Louisiana native and Christian singer and composer of 149 gospel hymns.
Location of Davis, Oklahoma
Davis is one of many towns in Oklahoma who owes its existence to the Santa Fe Railway. There are trains that still use the railway that runs through the middle of Davis, but most of the traffic goes down U.S. Interstate 35 two miles west of Davis. Davis is located in Murray County which is twenty-three miles north of Ardmore and twenty-three miles south of Pauls Valley. It has a council-manager form of government. Davis is name after Samuel H. Davis who moved to Washita in 1887. Samuel H. Davis Owned a dry goods store which was four miles south of the current location. Davis successfully petitioned for a Santa Fe depot to be built near his establishment. Davis opened a post office in 1890. The post office was supposed to be named after Nelson Chigley a Chickasaw Indian who owned the land the post office was built on. Chigley was already an Indian Territory name, so it was named after Davis. The town was named Davis and was established on November 16, 1898.http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/D/DA015.html In 1900 Davis had fifty-seven businesses, two banks, ten doctors, three dentists, and three lawyers. In the year 1900 Davis had 1,346 residents, and those who were not in sales were farmers. Davis was in the middle of one of the best cotton producing sections in Oklahoma. By the year 2000 the population had only grown to 2,610. About one fourth of the people worked in the educational, health, and social service fields. There were only a handful of people who listed their professions as farming fishing, or forestry.
Davis is located at (34.497858, -97.126933)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 11.0 square miles (28.5 km²), all land. It is located near Lake Arbuckle.
Davis is the home Turner Falls Park which is the oldest park in Oklahoma. Turner Falls is located in the Arbuckle Mountains and is named after Mazeppa Turner. Mazepa Turner was born in Virginia who married a Chickasaw woman named Laura Johnson. Turner became a farmer in Murray County and he and his wife settled in a cabin along Honey Creek. Turner discovered the waterfall in the park therefore giving it the name Turner Falls. In 1919 Turner Falls came under the ownership of Davis. Davis purchased three-hundred and seventy acres for the park from the Turner family for an estimated seventeen thousand dollars. Davis operated the park until 1950 and then leased the park out until the late 1970s. Turner Falls is in the heart of the Arbuckle Mountains, and is home to the seventy-seven foot waterfall, which is the largest in Oklahoma. Turner Falls is now a fifteen-hundred acre water resort that offers many things like swimming, cave exploration, miles of hiking trails, picnic areas, and overnight camping. Also another attraction in the Turner Falls Park is the Collings Castle. The castle was built in the 1930s and became the home of Ellsworth Collings. Ellsworth Collings was an author and also the dean of education of the University of Oklahoma for twenty years. The castle covers about an acre of land that included a main house with three rooms