Frederick is a city and county seat of Tillman County, Oklahoma, United States. Once titled "The Friendly City", its charm and receptiveness leaves visitors feeling like locals. The population was 3,940 at the 2010 census. It is an agriculture-based community that primarily produces wheat, cotton, and cattle. Frederick is home to three dairies, a 1400 acre industrial park, and Frederick Regional Airport, which includes restored WWII hangars which house the WWII Airborne Demonstration Team.
Frederick was a major stop on the Wichita Falls and Northwestern Railway, one of the Frank Kell and Joseph A. Kemp properties which operated from 1906 to 1923 from Wichita Falls toForgan in the Oklahoma Panhandle. The line was sold to the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad. The link to Frederick was abandoned in 1973, when Altus, Oklahoma became the northern terminus of the successor railroad.
Grand Hotel in 2012
Location of Frederick within Oklahoma
Originally established in 1901, the Frederick area was among the last of the Oklahoma Territory Land to be opened to settlement. What isnow Frederick used to be two towns: Gosnell and Hazel. Both towns were established in 1901 when the Kiowa-Comanche-Apache reservation was opened to settlement. In 1902 the towns combined in order to take advantage of the Blackwell, Enid and SouthernRailroad. The town was named Frederick after the son of a railroad executive. Gosnell received the depot, and the residents of Hazel moved north to the new town of Frederick. In 1962 a flagpole was erected in Pioneer Park, fulfilling the agreement between Gosnell, Hazel and the railroad.
In the spring of 1905, President Teddy Roosevelt visited Frederick to meet with Jack Abernathy, the famed barehanded wolf hunter, and introduced the area to tourism and its recreational value. In 1907 the City of Frederick was incorporated, Oklahoma became a state and the Katy Railroad came to Frederick. By 1915, Frederick had 15 miles of sidewalks and crossings, and 75 miles of wide, graded, rolled streets. The first paved streets were laid in 1918.
During World War II, Frederick was the site of the last B-25 training base. In 1953, the base was turned over to the City of Frederick, and is now the Frederick Municipal Airport and Industrial Park.
Great Plains Technology Center is located in Frederick.
Frederick is served by Frederick Public Schools, which include a high school, middle school, and elementary school.The public school team name is the Bombers. The Frederick High School 1956 football team won the first state championship with an inter-racial team, and in 2007 became the only team ever inducted into the Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame. The teams were combined of the two high schools in Frederick, Frederick High School and Boyd High School. The Frederick Bombers returned to the state championship almost 40 years later and won the state championships in 1993, 1994, 1995, and 1996.
School colors: In the 1950s the school colors were maroon and gray. This was changed in the late 1960s to red and white. In the late 1980s, the color black was added to the red and white.