Garber is a city in Garfield County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 845 at the2000 census. The city is named after Martin Garber, father of Milton C. Garber, former U.S. Congressman, Enid Mayor, newspaper editor, and Judge. The Garber family participated in the Land Run of 1893, claiming the land that is now Garber, Oklahoma. In October 1899, the Garber Town Company, owned by brothers Milton C. and Burton A. Garber, platted the town. Burton Garber was part-owner of the Garber Oil Company.
Location of Garber, Oklahoma
Garber is located at
36°26′12″N 97°34′55″W (36.436576, -97.581987).Garber is 16 miles (26 km) east of Enid.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.
Agriculture, oil, and cattle are Garber's primary industries. Petroleum drilling began as early as 1904-05. The Garber Oil and Gas Company (partly owned by Burton A. Garber) installed Garber's first gas well in 1905. The Garber Field was opened in 1916 when the Hoy well came in at two hundred barrels per day. Peak production came in November 1925, and by 1940 a well in Section 18, T22N, R3W still held a state record for initial production, 27,000 barrels per day (4,300 m3/d). Booms happened again in 1925 and 1927 continuing through the 1930s. Three refineries operated by 1929. By 1920 the boom had grown Garber to an unofficial population count of 2,200 (the U.S. Census registered 1,446).