Langston is a town in Logan County, Oklahoma, United States, and is part of the Oklahoma City Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,724 at the 2010 census, an increase of 3.2 percent from 1,670 at the 2000 census. Langston is home to Langston University, the only historically black college in Oklahoma.
Location of Langston, Oklahoma
Langston was founded on April 22, 1890 by Edward P. McCabe, an African-American political figure from Kansas. McCabe helped lead a migration of black settlers from southern U.S. states who hoped to escape discrimination by creating a majority-black state in what was then the Territory of Oklahoma. He named the town for John Mercer Langston, a black member of the 51st United States Congress from Virginia.[b] McCabe used traveling salesmen and African-American newspapers to advertise lots for sale in Langston, and the deeds which accompanied the sale of these lots stipulated that their re-sale could only be to other African-Americans.
By 1891, Langston had a population of 200, which included a preacher, doctor, and schoolteacher. By 1892, the town had 25 businesses, with a bank and a public school. A Roman Catholic mission was established in 1893 by Rev. Bishop Theophile Meerschaert and the Benedictine Sisters. The town had a telephone system in service in 1895. In 1897, the Oklahoma Territorial Legislature passed a law creating the Colored Agricultural and Normal University at Langston (which later became Langston University).
Langston is 10 miles (16 km) northwest of Guthrie, the Logan County seat, on State Highway 33.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km2), all of it land.