Maud is a town on the boundary between Pottawatomie and Seminole counties in the U.S. state of Oklahoma. The population was 1,048 at the 2010 census, a 7.8 percent decrease from 1,136 at the 2000 census. The town was named for Maud Stearns, a sister to the wives of two men who owned the first general store.
Location of Maud, Oklahoma
This community was established by 1890 on the dividing line between Oklahoma Territory and Indian Territory. In 1890, a barbed-wire fence was built along the street now called Broadway from the North Canadian River to theCanadian River to keep the Native Americans out of Oklahoma Territory. However, the fence failed to prevent the illegal sale of alcohol to residents of Indian Territory.
A post office was established on April 16, 1896. A railroad station was built by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway in 1903. The first newspaper, Maud Monitor, appeared in 1904, and the city was incorporated July 21, 1905. The 1910 census showed a population of 503.
Maud became a boom town in the early 1920s because oil was discovered nearby. The peak population was estimated at ten thousand. The boom was short-lived and the population was only 4,326 at the 1930 census.
Maud is located at United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.0 square miles (1 km²), all land. (35.131809, -96.777527).According to the