Mounds is a town in Creek County, Oklahoma, United States. It is located just south of Tulsa; the town's population was 1,168 at the 2010 census, an increase of 1.3 percent from 1,153 at the 2000 census
Location within Creek County, and the state of Oklahoma
The post office for this community was established in 1895 and originally named "Posey", for the Creek poet Alexander Posey, who lived in Eufaula, Oklahoma. In 1898, the town was moved 5 miles (8 km) southwest and renamed "Mounds" for twin hills that were nearby. By 1901, the St. Louis, Oklahoma and Southern Railway (later the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway) built a track through Mounds, and the town became an important cattle shipping point. Mounds incorporated as a city in the same year. The discovery of oil in the Glenn Pool field in 1905 turned Mounds into a shipping point for crude oil instead of cattle.
Mounds had a population of 675 at statehood in 1907, rising to 701 in 1910. The oil boom played out in the 1920s, and the population declined from 1,078 in 1920 to 701 in 1930. Railroad activity became primarily shipping grain and cattle. As time went by, the population reached a low of 560 in 1950. Then a slow increase began. Employed residents now are commuters who work primarily in Sapulpa and Tulsa.
Enrollment in the Mounds public school district serves about 840 pupils. The district's overall student/teacher ratio is 14.5:1. There are 2 schools associated with the agency, which is classified as being in or near a rural area. Mounds allocates approximately $2,854 per pupil for instructional expenses.