|Mountain View, Oklahoma|
Location of Mountain View, Oklahoma
The Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad (Rock Island) extended a line from Chickasha to the northern part of the Kiowa, Comanche and Apache Reservation in 1899. It terminated about two miles from an existing tent city called Oakdale, consisting of a store and post office on the former Cheyenne and Arapaho Reservation. The Oakdale post office was renamed Mountain View, honoring the nearby Wichita Mountains, on October 9, 1900.
In 1903, the entire town relocated to a site closer to the railroad. The move was completed in 1904. Nicknaming itself, "the City in the Woods," the town became a point for transshipping Texas cattle on the Rock Island. Cattle were unloaded from trains and allowed to graze on Kiowa, Comanche and Apache Reservation land before resuming their journey to markets. By 1910, the town had a population of 855.
Mountain View is located at (35.100293, -98.749601).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km²), all of it land.