Location within Creek County, and the state of Oklahoma
Oilton began during the development of the Cushing-Drumright Oil Field. The first lots were sold in January and February 1915 by Walter Eaton and Ed Dunn. A post office was established May 5, 1915. The First State Bank opened and the newspaper, the Oilton Gusher, began publication in 1915. In the same year, Oil Belt Terminal Railway and the Oil Fields and Santa Fe Railway (both later acquired by Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway) connected Oilton to Jennings and Cushing. By 1920, Oilton had a population of 2,231. It became an incorporated city on April 18, 1921.
Oklahoma State Highway 99 passes through the community, leading north 7 miles (11 km) toJennings and south 7 miles (11 km) to Drumright. Tulsa is 38 miles (61 km) to the east, and Stillwater is 30 miles (48 km) to the west.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Oilton has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.7 km2), all of it land.