Roosevelt is a town in Kiowa County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 248 at the 2010 census, a decline of 11.4 percent from 283 at the 2000 census. The town was named for President Theodore Roosevelt.
Location of Roosevelt, Oklahoma
According to the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, the present town of Roosevelt was originally planned by Parkersburg Development Company before the opening of the Kiowa, Comanche, and Apache Reservation in 1901. At that time, the town was known as Parkersburg. However, another town by the same name already existed. Thus, the name was changed to Roosevelt by a townsite organizer, Charlie Parker, who had served under Theodore Roosevelt in the Spanish–American War. A post office named Roosevelt was established October 31, 1901. President Theodore Roosevelt actually visited the town in 1903.
By 1907, the town population had grown to 173. The population was 298 in 1910, 744 in 1940, and 679 in 1950. The population then declined to 280 in 2000.
Roosevelt is located at (34.850457, -99.022302).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.