Location of Snyder, Oklahoma
The community of Snyder was established in Oklahoma Territory, just 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Mountain Park in 1902. It was named for Bryan Snyder, an employee of the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway (Frisco), which ran north and south through the townsite.
In 1905, a tornado hit Snyder and killed 113 people, including the superintendent of public schools. Fires in 1906 and 1909 destroyed most of the wooden buildings along Main Street. By the time of statehood in 1907, Snyder had a population of 607 residents. The number grew to 1,122 in 1910.
Snyder is located at (34.657246, -98.952535).
According to the United States Census Bureau, Snyder has a total area of 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2), all of it land.