Taft is a town in Muskogee County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 250 at the 2010 census, a decline of 28.4 percent from 349 at the 2000 census.The town began as an all-black town on land allotted to Creek Freedmen. It is named for President William Howard Taft.
|Nickname(s): Armpit of Muskogee|
Location of Taft, Oklahoma
This community began as an all-Black town on land allotted to freedmen of the Creek Nation. It was originally named Twine, for William H. Twine, and had a post office by 1902. Twine moved to Muskogee, and the citizens voted to rename the town as Taft, for President William Howard Taft, who was then Secretary of War in the Theodore Roosevelt administration.
Educational and correctional facilities have long been the town's leading employers. These have included: W. T. Vernon School (1908), the Industrial Institute for the Deaf, Blind, and Orphans of the Colored Race (1909), Moton High School, and the State Training School for Negro Girls.
Taft also contains two penitentiaries: Dr. Eddie Warrior Correctional Center, for women, and Jess Dunn Correctional Center, for men.
Taft is located at United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.5 square miles (3.9 km2), all of it land. (35.762595, -95.546046). It is about 8 miles (13 km) west of the city of Muskogee. According to the