Welch is a town in Craig County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 619 at the 2010 census, an increase of 3.7 percent from 597 at the 2000 census. It is the second largest town in its county.
Location of Welch, Oklahoma
Welch was established in 1888 in the Cherokee Nation on land that D. B. Nigh leased from Frank Craig. The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway (Katy) had built a line through the area in 1871, and in 1891 it built a switch on Nigh's property, providing a shipping point for local hay and grain. The town that began to grow around the switch was named for a Katy railroad official, A. L. Welch. A post office was established in 1892. The town plat was approved in 1902, and the town incorporated in 1909.
A joint stock company established the first school in 1899, then sold it to the city in 1907. The first class graduated in 1911.
Welch is located at Ottawa County, Oklahoma. (36.874605, -95.093805).It is 18 miles (29 km) north of Vinita, the county seat, and 13 miles (21 km) west of Miami, the county seat of
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.