Downtown Westville north up Williams Street. The Buffington Hotel is on the left.
Location within Adair County and the state of Oklahoma
Before statehood, Westville was a community in the Goingsnake District of the Cherokee Nation. The town was founded in 1895, when the Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf Railroad (later acquired by the Kansas City Southern Railroad) was constructing a rail line from Kansas City to the Gulf Coast. The Westville post office was established on November 18, 1895. The town name honored Jim West, who lived one mile south of nearby Cincinnati, Arkansas, and whose son, Jim West, Jr., was an attorney for the Kansas City Southern Railway.
When Adair County was formed in 1907, Westville was identified as the county seat, due partly to its location at the intersection of two major railroads: the Kansas City Southern Railway and the St. Louis – San Francisco Railway.The county seat was moved to Stilwell in 1910.
Westville is located at Siloam Springs, Arkansas. (35.991414, -94.571088).It is 13 miles (21 km) north of Stilwell and 15 miles (24 km) north of
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), all of it land.