Oklaunion is an unincorporated community in Wilbarger County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had an estimated population of 138 in 2000.
Oklaunion is located at (34.1295324, -99.1428544). It is situated at the junction of U.S. Highways 283, 70, and 183in northeastern Wilbarger County, approximately nine miles east of Vernon. The nearest large city is Wichita Falls, located 42 miles east of Oklaunion.
Originally known as Mayflower, the community was renamed Oklaunion around 1888 by Joseph S. "Buckskin" Works. The reason behind the name change was an attempt to attract the Frisco line to the community so that it would connect with the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway. Nearby Vernon was chosen as the site for the linkage, however, but Oklaunion prospered as a stop on the Fort Worth and Denver City line. A post office was established in 1889 and a school opened during the mid-1890s.
The community voted to incorporate on June 6, 1928. In 1930, the town had a population of 254. That figure fell to 223 in 1940 and 129 by 1950. Sometime after, the town dissolved its incorporation. The population had fallen to fewer than 140 in 1990 and remained at that level by 2000.
Although Oklaunion is unincorporated, it has a post office with the zip code of 76373.
Near Oklaunion, there is a coal-fired power station with a power of 692 megawatts.
Since 1984 there has been a back-to-back HVDC station at Oklaunion which was built by General Electric. It works with a voltage of 82 kV and has a transfer rate of 200 megawatts.
Public education in the community of Oklaunion is provided by the Vernon Independent School District. The Oklaunion Independent School District consolidated with Vernon in 1967.