Location of Oktaha, Oklahoma
Oktaha was named for a Muscogee chief, Oktarharsars Harjo (also known as Sands). The town originated in 1872 as a stop on the MK&T "Katy" Railroad. By 1900, the town had its own post office. A small business district emerged as well. Local business lagged, however, by mid-century, and the town struggled even more when U.S. Highway 69 was rerouted to bypass Oktaha. Nevertheless, Oktaha remains the site of a K-12 school that draws several hundred students from rural portions of Muskogee County.There are currently plans to build a combined community center-museum in Oktaha.
Oktaha is located at
35°34′40″N 95°28′36″W (35.577772, -95.476762). It is 14 miles (23 km) south-southwest of Muskogee.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), all of it land.