Old Ocean is an unincorporated community in Brazoria County, Texas, United States.
|Coordinates: 29°4′47″N 95°44′58″W|
Old Ocean is located at 29°4′47″ North, 95°44′58″ West (29.07972, -95.74944), at the intersection of Loop 419 and Farm to Market Road 524, just south of State Highway 35 five miles (8 km) northwest of Sweeny.
Old Ocean was originally known as Chance's Prairie, after the land grant made to Joseph H. Polley and Samuel Chance on July 27, 1824. William B. Sweeny, one of the founders of Chance's Prairie and for which the local town of Sweeny was named, bought 2,319 acres (9.38 km2) from Polley and Chance for $1,950. Eventually more people settled here, and the town reportedly had a population of 18 in 1880. James Abercrombie discovered oil nearby in 1934, and a government oil refinery was constructed to make high-octane gas. It was closed near the end of World War II. The oilfield was called Old Ocean, and by 1936 the town eventually took that name. A post office with the name of Old Ocean was established in 1945.
Not much remains of Old Ocean besides the post office, a Baptist church and two convenience stores. The former town has been redeveloped into an industrial facility and both State Highway 35 and FM 524 have been bypassed around the townsite.