Panhandle is the county seat of Carson County in the Texas Panhandle,United States. The population of the town was 2,452 at the 2010 census.Panhandle is part of the Amarillo, Texas Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Welcome sign in Panhandle
|Motto: People of Pride & Purpose|
Location of Panhandle, Texas
|Coordinates: 35°20′51″N 101°22′55″W|
Panhandle derives its name from its central location in the Texas Panhandle. Originally named Carson City, it was later changed to Panhandle City.
In 1887, Panhandle obtained a post office, and in 1888 the town was planned as the terminus of thePanhandle and Santa Fe Railway. At that time the town was surrounded by several large cattle ranches. The community soon acquired a bank, a mercantile store, a wagonyard, a school, a newspaper, and three saloons.
In 1888, Carson County was organized, and Panhandle became the county seat.J. C. Paul, an early settler of Carson County, described the Plains, accordingly: "It was a beautiful smooth prairie as far as the eye could see, not a tree, not even a shrub knee high, to hide a jackrabbit, for miles in every direction. No fences, no roads, no houses, only a handful of people around Panhandle, the only settlement then in all that Plains country."The cattlemen were reconciled to the arrival of farmers because they produced needed forage crops, such as hay, and introduced more families with eligible young women for the cowboy bachelors of the cattle kingdom.
Temple Lea Houston, the eighth and last child of politician Sam Houston, built a home near Panhandle. In 1881, Houston was named district attorneyfor the 35th Judicial District, and was elected to the Texas State Senate in 1884, two years before he met the minimum age requirement of twenty-six. Houston was known for favoring legislation popular with frontiersmen.
Panhandle was scandalized in 1897 after George E. Morrison, a preacher at the Methodist Episcopal Church, poisoned his wife Minnie with astrychnine-laced apple so that he could marry his mistress Miss Annie Whittlesey of Topeka, Kansas. Morrison was sentenced to die in the gallows at Vernon in Wilbarger County, Texas, his last words being: "Jesus, Lover of My Soul".
In 1909, Panhandle voted to incorporate with a mayor-council government.
The population grew in the 1920s when Panhandle became the center of anatural gas field.
A new county courthouse was completed in 1950.
Panhandle continued to thrive in the 1980s as a regional marketing and shipping center for cattle, wheat, and petroleumproducts.
The Carson County Square House Museum is located inside the oldest house in Panhandle, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Town of Panhandle is served by the Panhandle Independent School Districtand is home to the Panhandle High School Panthers and Pantherettes.