Pharr is a city in Hidalgo County, Texas. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city population was 70,400. Pharr is connected by bridge to the Mexican city of Reynosa, Tamaulipas. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission and Reynosa–McAllen metropolitan areas.
|City of Pharr|
Location of Pharr, Texas
|Coordinates: 26°12′23″N 98°11′7″W|
Pharr is located at (26.206334, -98.185174).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 20.8 square miles (54 km2), of which 20.8 square miles (54 km2) is land and 0.05% is water.
The community was named after sugar planter Henry Newton Pharr. In 1900 Henry N. Pharr for a number of years was a director of the State National Bank of New Iberia, Louisiana, and was a former president of the Louisiana - Rio Grande Sugar Company and the Louisiana - Rio Grande Canal Company, which at one time owned eight thousand acres (32 km²) and which, in 1910, on this land built the town of Pharr.
Around the beginning of the 21st century, Pharr experienced strong growth and economic development. By 2009, its population had steadily increased to over 60,000 people
In 1987 Pharr annexed Las Milpas.
In 2006, Pharr received "The All America City" award.
Pharr, along with the neighboring cities of San Juan and Alamo, (or "P-SJ-A") as the three have become known, is a community rich in bi-cultural diversity, beauty, and history. Pharr is located in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas, minutes from the Mexican border.
Pharr is an unusual mixture. Its proximity to the border and beach has influenced the culture in the area. In turn, the area hangs on to its traditions despite the rapid growth and development the area has experienced. Hidalgo County is one of the fastest-growing communities in the United States, and Pharr has ridden this wave of development.
The Pharr Public Library serves Pharr.