Port Bolivar is an Unincorporated community located in the Bolivar Peninsulacensus-designated place, in Galveston County, Texas, United States state of Texaswithin Galveston County and part of the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytownmetropolitan area.
As of 2000, Port Bolivar had a population of 1,200. The town is home to the historic Bolivar Lighthouse, which once guided ships entering Galveston Bay.
James Long based his operations where Port Bolivar would be located since 1819.
In 1838, Samuel D Parr surveyed the land, and it was granted to him by the Republic of Texas to be called Parrsville. It changed hands as Archibald Wynns and William Lawrence bought the land and developed it. The land was finally bought by a company and renamed to Port Bolivar in 1893.
Fort Travis in Bolivar Peninsula, separate from the Fort Travis in Galveston Island, was built with construction started in 1898.
The 1915 Galveston hurricane damaged Port Bolivar, and its port was mostly not rebuilt.
After Hurricane Ike the United States Postal Service temporarily relocated Port Bolivar post office box services to Winnie, Texas.
The Galveston County Department of Parks and Senior Services operates the Bolivar Community Center, 1802 Madison Avenue and the Fort Travis Seashore Park at 900 State Highway 87, and the Pilsner Boat Ramp.