Prue is a town in southern Osage County, Oklahoma, United States. The population was 465 at the 2010 census, up 7.4 percent from 433 at the 2000 census.The town was named for Henry Prue, who owned the original townsite. Prue was relocated when Lake Keystone was built, and is sometimes called "New Prue".
Location of Prue, Oklahoma
Prue was a small settlement when the Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma Railroad (later the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad), often called the MKT or"Katy ") extended its line from Wybark( near Muskogee) to Osage, Oklahoma by way of Prue in 1902–03. The Prue post office was established in September 1905, and town lots were sold at public auction beginning on March 22, 1911.
Oil exploration around Prue began about 1911, and the Prue Field was opened east-northeast of town in 1920, becaming a major source of natural gas. The nearby East Osage City and Twin Creek oil fields have continued producing into the twenty-first century.
Keystone Dam construction began in 1956. By the time of completion in 1964, the lake covered 90 percent of the original town. Railroad service to Prue ended in 1964.