Rosharon, also known as "Buttermilk Station," is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Brazoria County, Texas, United States, at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 521 and Farm to Market Road 1462. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 1,152.
|Census-designated place (CDP)|
|Nickname(s): "Buttermilk Station"|
|Coordinates: 29°21′08″N 95°27′37″W|
The Rosharon town site went unnamed during its early years. The area was settled by cotton and sugar plantations before the Civil War. Once theHouston Tap and Brazoria Railway (Columbia Tap) was completed in 1859, the Rosharon stop on the train line was given the name Masterson's Station, after a nearby plantation owned by Thomas G. Masterson (ca. 1813–1884). Rosharon was known locally by trainmen as "Buttermilk Station" because an early resident was known to bring a bucket of buttermilk and a dipper to the railroad station to give the engineer and crew a drink.
George Wetmore Colles, Jr. (1871–1951), an electrical and mechanical engineer educated at Yale University (BA 1892) and the Stevens Institute of Technology, bought property in the area around 1900 and called his estate the Rose of Sharon Garden Ranch after the many Cherokee Roses (Rosa laevigata) that grew there. Colles also designed the community water system.
Antonio G. Arcaro served as Rosharon's postmaster from 1912 to 1920. The Rosharon post office was discontinued in 1920 and mail was then sent toSandy Point. The post office reopened in 1936, only to be closed again in 1979. A new post office was dedicated under President Ronald Reagan & opertates today.
Tom Lochridge (1903–1985) platted the town site. Lochridge was responsible for having a cotton gin moved to Rosharon from Houston. Aside from providing employment for several persons, the gin's engine was used as Rosharon's first power plant. The community's first telephone exchange was operated out of Lochridge's home.
Rosharon's school was initially held in private home, and later in its own building. Eventually, the Rosharon school district was consolidated with the Angleton schools. Students began being bussed to Angleton in the late 1900s, a practice that continues to this day.
Church meetings were first held in a former school, then in a tavern that community members had bought and converted into a church. Eventually a brick church was constructed.
The South Texas Water Company located in Rosharon in 1935, and its fresh watercanals for irrigating rice brought some seventy-five to eighty rice farmers to the area.
By the late 1980s, Rosharon had an estimated population of 500. In 1990 the population was 435. Most residents commute to jobs in nearby towns.
There are four Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) prison units near Rosharon. Ramsey (formerly Ramsey I), Stringfellow (formerly Ramsey III), andTerrell (formerly Ramsey II) are all co-located. In addition Darrington Unit is near Rosharon. The Handbook of Texas stated that the prison authority employees and their family members "added considerably to [Rosharon's] economy."
Students in Rosharon attend the Angleton Independent School District, as well as the Fort Bend Independent School District for residents in Southern Colony. In the 20th century the Rosharon school district was consolidated into the Angleton district, and busing into Angleton began in the late 20th century. Some Rosharon residents attend Manvel schools in the Alvin ISD. Manvel High School, Manvel Junior High, and E.C Mason Elementary.
In the neighborhoods west of Chocolate Bayou, along the north side of F.M. 1462, students attend Alvin Primary, Alvin Elementary, Fairview Junior High and Alvin High School in Alvin.
Rosharon is within the attendance zone of the Alvin Community College. Rosharon was included through H.B. No. 2744, filed on March 6, 2007.