Saint Georges is an unincorporated community situated on the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal in New Castle County, Delaware, about midway between the Delaware River and Chesapeake Bay. The community is located in New Castle County District 12 and is represented to the county council by Councilman James W. (Bill) Bell.
The community had formerly been an incorporated town, but after being divided by the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal and then bypassed by a newer bridge, the town asked to have their charter revoked by the state in 1940.The community has at least one civic association, the North Saint Georges Civic Association which represents the community to the New Castle County Council.
The Chesapeake & Delaware Canal Bridge (Delaware Route 1) passes just west of the community. It is the onlycable-stayed bridge in the Delaware Valley and one of the first in the nation. It opened in 1995 as a replacement to the still standing St. Georges Bridge, which carries U.S. Highway 13 over the community of St. Georges and the canal. The St. Georges Bridge is in turn a replacement for a former lift bridge that sat in the middle of town. That bridge—built in 1923—was knocked down on January 10, 1939, by the 6,000-ton freighter Waukegan. The freighter lost control, hit the north tower of the bridge, and caused it to collapse. Two people died: the bridge tender and the bridge electrician. One other bridge spanned the C & D Canal before the lift bridge. It was a small pedestrian swing bridge that crossed over the former Saint Georges Locks. It was destroyed when the locks were dismantled during the first widening and deepening (to sea level) of the canal.
Bloomfield, the W. Casperson House, Linden Hill, Ethel S. Roy House, St. Georges Cemetery Caretaker's House, St. Georges Presbyterian Church, Starl House, Sutton House (St. Georges, Delaware), and the North Saint Georges Historic District are listed on the National Register of Historic Places