San Angelo is a city in and the county seat of Tom Green County, Texas, United States, in the state's west-central region. According to a 2014 Census estimate, San Angelo has a total population of 97,492.The city is the principal city and center of the San Angelo metropolitan area, which has a population of 116,823.
San Angelo is home to Angelo State University, historic Fort Concho, and Goodfellow Air Force Base.
Some common nicknames of San Angelo include Angelo, the River City, the Concho City, the Pearl of the Conchos, the Oasis of West Texas, Sangelo.
|Motto: "Home of Historic Concho Avenue"|
Location in the state of Texas
|Coordinates: 31°27′N 100°27′W|
Prior to the coming of Europeans, San Angelo was the center of the Jumano people. The area had been inhabited for thousands of years by succeeding cultures of indigenous peoples. In 1632, a short-lived mission of Franciscans under Spanish auspices was founded in the area to serve the Indians. The mission was led by the friars Juan de Salas and Juan de Ortega, with Ortega remaining for six months. The area was visited by the Castillo-Martin expedition of 1650 and the Diego de Guadalajara expedition of 1654.
The current city of San Angelo was founded by European Americans in 1867, when the United States constructedFort Concho as one of a series of new forts designed to protect the frontier from hostile threats. The fort was home to cavalry, infantry, and the famous Black Cavalry, otherwise known as Buffalo Soldiers by Indigenous Americans.
The settler Bartholomew J. DeWitt founded the village of Santa Angela outside the fort at the juncture of the North and South Concho Rivers. He named the village after his wife, Carolina Angela. The name was eventually changed to San Angela. The name would change again to San Angelo in 1883 on the insistence of theUnited States Postal Service, as San Angela was grammatically incorrect in Spanish. The town became a trade center for farmers and settlers in the area, as well as a fairly lawless cow town filled with brothels, saloons and gambling houses.
After being designated as the county seat, the town grew quickly in the 1880s, aided by being on the route of newly constructed railroads. It became a central transportation hub for the region. The Santa Fe Railroad arrived in 1888 and the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway in 1909. After a tuberculosis (TB) outbreak hit the United States in the early 1900s, many patients moved to San Angelo. At the time, doctors could only recommend rest in dry, warm climates. TB sufferers went to San Angelo for treatment.
In 1928, the city founded San Angelo College, one of the region's first institutes of higher education. The city had been passed over by the Texas State Legislatureto be the home of what would become Texas Tech University. San Angelo College, one of the first municipal colleges, has grown to become Angelo State University. The military returned to San Angelo during World War II with the founding of Goodfellow Air Force Base, which was assigned to train pilots at the time. San Angelo grew exponentially during the oil boom of the 1900s, when vast amounts of oil were found in the area, and the city became a regional hub of the oil and gas industry.
The San Angelo Independent School District became one of the first in Texas to integrate, doing so voluntarily in 1955.
San Angelo is located at (31.453113, −100.452502).According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 58.2 square miles (150.9 km²), of which, 55.9 square miles (144.8 km²) of it is land and 2.3 square miles (6.1 km²) of it (4.03%) is water.
San Angelo falls on the southwestern edge of the Edwards Plateau and the northeastern edge of the Chihuahuan desert at the juncture of the North and SouthConcho Rivers. The city has three lakes: Twin Buttes Reservoir, O.C. Fisher Reservoir, and Lake Nasworthy. The Middle Concho River joined the South Concho several miles upstream, but the confluence has been obscured by the Twin Buttes dam.
San Angelo has consistently been ranked by many publications and rankings as one of the best small cities for business and employment. In 2013, it ranked fourth in the nation in Forbes magazine's "Best Cities For Jobs" rankings. In 2010Kiplinger's Personal Finance named San Angelo as one of the "Best Cities of the Next Decade". In 2009, CNN Moneyranked San Angelo as one of the best cities to launch a small business.
San Angelo has a very diverse economy for a city of its size. Although most oil fields lay to the west, many oil-field service companies based in the city employ a large number of local residents. The agricultural industry in San Angelo remains strong. Producer’s Livestock Auction is the nation’s largest for sheep and lambs, and is among the top five in the nation for cattle auctions. Though most agricultural work is done outside the city, thousands of employees work in the cattle and lamb meat-processing industries, and many more work in agriculture supporting roles inside the city. Two agricultural research centers are located in San Angelo: the Angelo State University Management Instruction and Research Center and theTexas A&M Texas AgriLife Research and Extension Center at San Angelo.
The telecommunication industry is a strong employer in San Angelo. Sitel has a call center in San Angelo. In addition, Verizon, Performant Recovery Inc. (Formerly DCS), a debt recovery corporation, and Blue Cross all employ over 1,000 each individuals locally. San Angelo serves as the regional medical center for West-central Texas. Shannon Medical Center and Community Medical Center employ over 3,000 in San Angelo, and provide services to a large region of West-central Texas. The manufacturing industry has seen hits since the 1990s; however, many large employers still remain, including Ethicon a division of Johnson & Johnson, Conner Steel, and Hirschfield Steel.
The several large institutional employers in the city include Shannon Medical Center, Angelo State University, and Goodfellow Air Force Base. The latter remains the largest employer in the region.
Sunset Mall, the area's major shopping mall, opened in 1979.
The San Angelo Museum of Fine Arts opened in 1999 in downtown San Angelo on the banks of the Concho River, built with local limestone and end-grain Texas mesquite. It attracts over 85,000 visitors a year and is home to the National Ceramic Competition."San Angelo TX's Source for Home Rentals, Apartments, & Homes for Rent". rentalhouses.com. RetrievedDecember 31, 2014.
The Chicken Farm Art Center, located in northwest San Angelo, was founded in 1971. It houses an eclectic group of 15 artists' studios.
Downtown San Angelo is home to various art galleries. The San Angelo Art walk, held every third Thursday, includes a viewing of the various downtown art galleries. These include the Kendall Art Gallery, Ruiz Studio, Black Swan Gallery, The Glass Prism, Bonnie Beesley Rug Gallery, and the Wool 'n Cotton Shop, as well as other public art venues. A free trolley service is available to the public.
The San Angelo Symphony, founded in 1949, plays several events a year, with its feature event being on July 3. Over 20,000 people regularly attend that performance, which takes place at the River Stage, an outdoor venue on the Concho River.
Angelo Civic Theater, the oldest civic theater in Texas, was founded in 1885 to raise funds for a town clock at the county courthouse. In 1969‚ a fire destroyed the school building in which the theater was housed, so it produced its plays at various locations for 13 years, until it purchased the 230-seat Parkway Theater in 1980. Each year, the theater presents five in-house plays, as well as one traveling summer play, to 15,000 people.
The San Angelo Civic Ballet was founded in 1983. The feature production is the annual "The Nutcracker" production.
Angelo State University, through "The Arts at ASU", puts on six plays a year open to the general public. The plays range from dinner theaters and theater in the round to conventional theatre productions, using the only active Modular Theatre in the United States. It also features numerous concerts and recitals throughout the year, and numerous displays in the Angelo State University Art Gallery. The public is encouraged to attend and actively supports all events.
The San Angelo City Park system was created in 1903. The city currently has 32 parks with over 375 acres (1.52 km2) of developed land. The department maintains a 33-acre municipal golf course along the river, 25 playgrounds, and 25 sports practice fields.
The "crown jewels" of the parks system are the parks that make up the 10 miles (16 km) of river frontage on the Concho River winding through downtown and beyond. The parks feature many plazas, public art displays, and numerous water features. The city is home to the International Water Lily Collection. The park contains over 300 varieties of water lilies, one of the largest collections in the world. The city also provides several municipal parks on Lake Nasworthy, one of three lakes near the city, which include Twin Buttes Reservoir and O.C. Fisher Reservoir.
The father of the San Angelo Park System is (Dr.) Albert Neely Carlin, who became the first Superintendent of Parks on June 15, 1925. His history in this endeavor was reported in the San Angelo Standard-Times, "Leisure Times" column (by Carl White) on August 10, 2013. In writing this article, he drew upon a biography written by Mr. Carlin's grandson, Warren Wolff, who lives in Lake Havasu City, AZ. (See Leisure Times; August 10, 2013)
San Angelo is home to San Angelo State Park. The 7,677-acre (3,107 ha) park, owned and maintained by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, is located on the shores of the O.C. Fisher Reservoir. Many activities are available within the park, including camping, picnicking, and swimming, as well as hiking, mountain biking, orienteering, and horseback riding on over 50 miles (80 km) of developed trails. The park is home to the Official State of Texas Longhorn herd.
The San Angelo Nature Center, located at Lake Nasworthy, is an educational center open to the public. The center features many native and exotic animals, including alligators, bobcats, prairie dogs, tortoises, and 85 different species of reptiles, including 22 different species of rattlesnakes. It includes the Spring Creek Wetland, which has 260 acres (110 ha) being developed by the Federal Bureau of Reclamation, including a 7-mile (11 km) trail; its terrain varies from a semiarid environment to a freshwater marsh. It also maintains the one-mile (1.6-km) nature trail off Spillway Road.
Historic Fort Concho, a National Historic Landmark, maintained by the city of San Angelo, was founded in 1867 by the United States Army to protect settlers and maintain vital trade routes. It frequently experienced skirmishes with the then hostile Comanche tribe. Today the restored site is home to several museums, and is open to visitors Tuesday through Sunday. Fort Concho is one of nine forts along the Texas Forts Trail.
The annual San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo is held every year from February 18 through February 28. It began in 1932, making it one of the longest-running rodeos in the world. It is nationally renowned within the rodeo circuit, bringing in the top contestants and ranking as one of Top 10 rodeos in the nation for monetary prizes awarded to contestants.It includes a parade, carnival, and concerts, and many other events in addition to the main stock show and rodeo. San Angelo was mentioned in George Strait's song "Lone Star Blues" in his album Here for a Good Time, released in 2011.