San Felipe, also known as San Felipe de Austin, is a town in Austin County, Texas, United States. The town was the social, economic, and political center of the early Stephen F. Austin colony. The population was 747 at the 2010 census.
Location of San Felipe, Texas
|Coordinates: 29°47′40″N 96°6′17″W|
San Felipe is located in eastern Austin County at , along the west bank of the Brazos River. The town limits extend south as far as Interstate 10, with access at Exit 723. Sealy is 3 miles (5 km) to the west, and downtown Houston is 46 miles (74 km) to the east. Stephen F. Austin State Park is located in the northern part of the town.
San Felipe is served by the Sealy Independent School District.
In 1823 John McFarland operated a ferry on the Brazos River near this location. In the fall of same year, the site was chosen by Stephen F. Austin with the help of Baron de Bastrop to be the main site in Texas for colonization. Founded in 1824 as San Felipe de Austin, the town served as the capital of Stephen F. Austin's first colony and the founding spot of the Texas Rangers. It was first governed by James (Jack) Cummins who was appointed the firstalcalde.
In 1828, the population numbered about 200. The town had three general stores, two taverns, a hotel, a blacksmith shop, and forty to fifty log cabins. By 1835, its population had increased to around 600. It was home to the first post office and one of the earliest newspapers and land offices in Texas. San Felipe was second only to San Antonio as the commercial center of Texas.
The Texas conventions of 1832, 1833 and the Consultation of November 3, 1835, were held here. San Felipe would act as the capital for the provisional government of Texas until the Convention of 1836. The town was burned in 1836 to prevent the Mexican army from capturing it, and rebuilt a few years later, but never regained its popularity. The oldest post office in Texas is located here (ZIP code 77473).