Sasakwa was originally located at a site 2 miles (3.2 km) west of the present townsite, where settlement had a trading post. A post office was established in 1880, and took its name from the Seminole word meaning "wild goose".Sasakwa Female Academy existed at Sasakwa from 1880 to 1892. At that time Sasakwa was part of the Creek Nation in the Indian Territory.
Sasakwa is located at United States Census Bureau,the town has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2), all of it land. (34.947915, -96.526206). It is 13 miles (21 km) south of Wewoka, the county seat. According to the