Schertz is a city in Guadalupe, Bexar, and Comal counties in the U.S. state of Texas, within the San Antonio–New Braunfels metropolitan area. The population was 34,883 as of the 2012 U.S. Census estimate, up from 31,465 at the 2010 census.
The original center of Schertz is located in western Guadalupe County at 29°33′21″N 98°16′22″W. City Hall, located at 1400 Schertz Parkway, is also in Guadalupe County. Large tracts of the city now extend north into Comal County and south into Bexar County. Cibolo Creek, forming the boundary between Guadalupe and Bexar counties, runs through the city just south of the historic downtown. Schertz is bordered by Cibolo to the east, a narrow strip of San Antonio to the south along Interstate 10, Converse and Randolph AFB to the southwest,Universal City and Selma to the west, Garden Ridge to the north, and New Braunfels to the northeast.
Interstate 35 runs through the northern part of the city, with access from exits 174 through 180. I-35 runs 19 miles (31 km) southeast to downtown San Antonio and 6 miles (10 km) from the northeastern city limits to the center of New Braunfels.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Schertz has a total area of 28.6 square miles (74.0 km2), of which 28.4 square miles (73.6 km2) is land and 0.19 square miles (0.5 km2), or 0.63%, is water.
Arts and culture
- The Wilenchik Walk for Life is an annual community fundraising event in March benefiting theUniversity of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio's Cancer Therapy and Research Center. This is a 5K walk and fun run.
- Absolute Jazz is the city's annual one-day jazz festival.
- In May, Homes for Pets holds its annual Doggie Dash at Pickrell Park, a 5K fun run, and a 3K walk.
- Schertz EMS Week is held in May throughout its service area with activities ranging form a golf tournament to the EMS Extravaganza at the Forum Shopping Center. Money raised helps fund community outreach programs as well as the Bobby Dilworth Scholarship Fund.
- The Schertz Police Department holds its annual Police Memorial Day in May.
- The Schertz Sweetheart Pageant is held in May to select the city's ambassadors to area parades and festivals.
- The Schertz Fourth of July Jubilee, one of the largest parades and festivals in Central and South Texas, salutes the men and women who serve in the United States Armed Forces.
- The annual SchertzFest in late September features performers, food, beverages, and more in a salute to the founding of the City of Schertz.
- Schertz City departments, businesses, and civic and community groups participate in the annual Trunk or Treat celebration at Pickrell Park on October 31. This event is organized by Schertz Fire Rescue and provides a safe, enjoyable environment for children as an alternative to traditional trick-or-treating.
- The winter holiday season includes the Senior Arts and Crafts Bazaar in November, and the Festival of Angels in December.