Seagoville is a city in Dallas County, Texas, United States, and a suburb of Dallas. A small portion of Seagoville extends into Kaufman County. The population was 14,835 at the 2010 census. The city is located along U.S. Highway 175 and the Southern Pacific Railroad, 10 miles (16 km) from downtown Mesquite.
Location of Seagoville in Dallas County, Texas
|Coordinates: 32°39′7″N 96°33′0″W|
The town was founded in 1876 as Seago by T. K. Seago (1836–1904). The United States Post Office changed the town's name to "Seagoville" in 1910 to prevent confusion with another city in Texas called Sego.
Seagoville is fast growing and improving in economic development. Plans are in place to rebuild downtown Seagoville into a new retail area. The surrounding areas had been approved for substantial property upgrades. This project is entitled Town Center. This project was approved as a go-ahead by the Planning and Zoning Committee on December 13, 2007.
During World War II, the Federal Reformatory for Women in Seagoville was the site of aImmigration and Naturalization Service detention camp for Japanese, German and ItalianAmericans classified as "enemy aliens" and women of Japanese and German ancestrydeported from Latin America. Internees at Seagoville published a German language newsletter called the Sägedorfer Fliegende Blätter.The camp housed up to 647 people, and was closed in June 1945, after the internees were either "repatriated" to Japan or Germany, or transferred to Crystal City, Texas.
Seagoville is located at (32.651920, -96.550033).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 19.0 square miles (49.2 km2), of which 18.7 square miles (48.4 km2) is land and 0.31 square miles (0.8 km2), or 1.58%, is water.
Seagoville has its own public library called the Seagoville Public Library at 702 North U.S. Highway 175.
The Dallas Independent School District operates the Seagoville Stadium in Seagoville.