Shady Point is a town in Le Flore County, Oklahoma, United States. It is part of the Fort Smith, Arkansas-Oklahoma Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1,026 at the 2010 census, a 21.0 percent increase from 848 at the 2000 census.
|Shady Point, Oklahoma|
Location of Shady Point, Oklahoma
According to the Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture, the community now known as Shady Point was called Harrison when a post office was established in 1891. In 1894, the settlement moved eastward to the proposed route of the Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf Railroad, which built a track through Indian Territory in 1895-96. In 1900, the Kansas City Southern Railway bought out the Kansas City, Pittsburg and Gulf Railroad. The population was estimated at 200 In 1901. In the same year, the Poteau Valley Railroad built tracks from Shady Point to the mines at Sutter (which was renamed Calhoun in 1914), bringing prosperity to Shady Point as a coal shipping point.
Agriculture became the basis for Shady Point's economy during the Great Depression. The Evans Coal Company closed its deep-shaft coal mine in 1980, the same year the town incorporated. The population then was 235. Applied Energy Services built a power plant in 1991 that burned half of the coal produced in Oklahoma by the end o the Twentieth Century.
Shady Point is located at (35.128571, -94.659726).It is 6 miles (9.7 km) north of Poteau.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 km2), all of it land.