Smyer is a town in Hockley County, Texas, United States. The population was 480 at the 2000 census.
CRMWA water tower north of Smyer
In 1902, Isaac L. Ellwood acquired 262,000 acres (1,060 km2) in Hockley and Lamb counties and formed the Spade Ranch. The ranch, located deep within the heart of the Llano Estacado, was 10 mi (16 km) wide by 54 mi (87 km) long. The ranch's main headquarters was located in southeastern Lamb County and the south pasture operations were headed up in eastern Hockley County, near present-day Smyer. The town of Smyer was founded in 1924 when Wlliam L. Ellwood began selling portions of the Spade Ranch to farmers. The town was platted in 1925 and named after Clinton E. Smyer, a Santa Fe Railroad division superintendent.
Smyer is located on the high plains of the Llano Estacado at (33.5842563 -102.1632291).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it land.
The Town of Smyer is served by the Smyer Independent School District.