|Socastee, South Carolina|
Socastee Swing Bridge
Location of Socastee in
Socastee is an Indigenous American name referred to as "Sawkastee" in a 1711 land grant to Percival Pawley. A skirmish between small forces of American and British troops occurred near Socastee Creek in 1781. By the 1870s, the Socastee community was a significant center for the production and distribution of naval stores such as turpentine and tar. This area included a saw mill, turpentine distilleries, cotton gin, grist mill, cooper shop and general store. The Socastee Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
Socastee is located at (33.686 -78.993).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 13.9 square miles (36.0 km²), of which, 13.4 square miles (34.6 km²) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.4 km²) of it (3.81%) is water.