Andrews is a small town in Georgetown and Williamsburg counties in the U.S. state of South Carolina. The population was 2,861 at the 2010 census, and (as of 2000) the center of a slightly larger urban cluster of 4,204. General aviation airfield Robert F. Swinnie Airport is located two miles east of the central business district. Chubby Checker and Chris Rock were both born in Andrews.
|Andrews, South Carolina|
Location of Andrews in
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km²), all land.
The towns of Rosemary and Harpers Crossroads were settled along the Georgetown and Western Railroad which started operation in 1886. In 1905, the Seaboard Air Line Railroad built a route through the town, along with a sizable maintenance shop. In 1909, voters agreed to incorporate the two separate towns into a single community, which was named Andrews, after Colonel Walter H. Andrews, who played an important role in the incorporation. Andrews worked for Atlantic Coast Lumber Co. and served as mayor through most of the 1920s. In 1915, a town hall was built which is now a museum. By 1919, Andrews had reached a population of 2,000 and continued to grow. During the 1920s, Andrews had the title of being the fastest growing town in the United States for its age. The two schools were the Andrews School and the Rosemary School. These were segregated with the Andrews School being the white school and Rosemary being the black .
When the Great Depression of the 1930s started, Andrews was hit hard, with population down by 700 when Seaboard scaled back its operations. In 1932 the local economy was dealt a further blow when the Atlantic Coast Lumber Co. closed its nearby plant. The lumber business never regained prominence in the area. The economy subsequently improved in the late 1930s when an International Paper paper mill was built in Georgetown County.
After World War II, the Andrews Development Board was incorporated to attract businesses to the area. Among the industries added: Brooks Veneer Co., the Beale and the Ingram lumber companies, the Rogers Saw Mill Co., the Hardee livestock market, the Andrews Ice Co. and the Oneita Knitting Mill. In 1970, the schools were integrated. Rosemary became a middle school. The Andrews school became the elementary/high school. In 1984, Andrews Elementary School was built. In 2000 new middle and high school facilities were built. An expansion to the local branch library began in 2010. It celebrated its Centennial anniversary in 2009.
There is Andrews Elementary School (child development-5th), Rosemary Middle School (6th-8th), and Andrews High School (9th-12th). Sampit Elementary School lies in the Andrews cluster of public schools. There is also a private Trinity Christian Academy (K3-8th).