|Denmark, South Carolina|
Location of Denmark, South Carolina
Denmark is located in northwest Bamberg County at
33°19′16″N 81°8′32″W (33.321173, -81.142289). U.S. Route 78 and U.S. Route 321 cross in Denmark just north of the downtown area. US 78 leads east 6 miles (10 km) to Bamberg, the county seat, and west 8 miles (13 km) to Blackville. US 321 leads north 9 miles (14 km) to Norway and south 7 miles (11 km) to Govan.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 3.8 square miles (9.9 km2), of which 0.004 square miles (0.01 km2), or 0.09%, is water.
Denmark, Bamberg County, South Carolina, came into being as a railroading village by the earlier name of Graham's Turnout. An early pioneer planter by the name of Zachary "Big Zack" Graham was asked by the South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company to allow the new railroading company, which began in 1830, to use some of his vast acreage in the area, which was back then the Barnwell District (that after the American Civil War became today's Bamberg County) for the use of his railroad's tracks. The South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company had plans to lay their tracks from the eastern most terminal at Charleston, S. C., to the western most terminal at Hamburg, S. C. on the eastern banks of the Savannah River opposite Augusta, Georgia. Denmark was named for railroad executive B. A. Denmark.
Once the SCCRR Company's tracks reached the Savannah River banks in Hamburg, it resulted in becoming the longest (over 130 miles) scheduled passenger and freight railroad in the world. The company's very first steam locomotive, built in the U.S.A., was named "The Best Friend of Charleston," and it made its first run from Charleston to Hamburg, S. C., in December 1833.
Graham's Turnout was one of the stations, or turnouts, on the trip to Hamburg from Charleston. Midway, Bamberg County, South Carolina, was the approximate half-way point of the trip, where the weary passengers could have a meal at the new eating place there, and, even take advantage of the new hotel. Many new railroading villages such as Graham's Turnout and Midway began to incorporate and develop along the 130 mile plus length of the new South Carolina Canal and Rail Road Company's transportation facilities.
The name of Graham's Turnout later, upon incorporation as a town, changed to Graham's, S. C., and, as a second railroading company intersected the east-west tracks, with their new north-south line—The South Bound Rail Road Company—the "old town" location of Graham's began to migrate to the west about a mile, or so, to locate at the intersection of the two major railroad companies' tracks and "Union Depot." The new community named the town Denmark, S. C., in honor of a Captain Denmark, who was an official and promoter of The South Bound Railroad.
The old town area of the former Graham's, then became known as "Sato", in honor of a Japanese military hero of those days. Sato has since become part of younger Denmark, South Carolina.