Batesburg-Leesville is a town in Lexington and Saluda counties, South Carolina, United States. The population was 5,362 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Columbia, South Carolina Metropolitan Statistical Area.
|Batesburg-Leesville, South Carolina|
|Nickname(s): B-L, The Twin Cities|
Location of Batesburg-Leesville within South Carolina.
The town of Batesburg-Leesville was formed in 1992 by the consolidation of the towns of Batesburg and Leesville. The last mayor of Batesburg and the first mayor of Batesburg-Leesville was Elza S. "Sandy" Spradley, Jr.
The D. D. D. Barr House, Batesburg Commercial Historic District, Simon Bouknight House, Cartledge House, Cedar Grove Lutheran Church,Church Street Historic District, Broadus Edwards House, Hampton Hendrix Office, Hartley House, Henry Franklin Hendrix House, Thomas Galbraith Herbert House, J.B. Holman House, A.C. Jones House, Leesville College Historic District, Crowell Mitchell House, McKendree Mitchell House, Mitchell-Shealy House, Old Batesburg Grade School, John Jacob Rawl House, Rawl-Couch House, Southern Railway Depot, and Rev. Frank Yarborough House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
In February 1946, an American soldier, Isaac Woodard was attacked by the local police chief, Linwood Shull. The assault left Woodard blind. Shull was never punished.
Batesburg-Leesville is located at (33.909767, -81.534296).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 7.4 square miles (19.2 km2), of which 7.3 square miles (19.0 km2) is land and 0.1 square mile (0.2 km2) (1.21%) is water.