Marion is a city in Marion County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 7,042 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Marion County. It is named for Francis Marion, aBrigadier General from South Carolina in the American Revolutionary War.
|Motto: "The Swamp Fox City "|
Location of Marion in South Carolina
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (November 2014)|
The Marion High School, Marion County Court House, Marion County Library, Marion County Museum and Marion Historic District are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Some sixty years after the first permanent settlement in South Carolina, a group of English settlers sent out by the Lords Proprietors landed in Georgetown and moved up the Pee Dee River to the junction of the Little Pee Dee River about half way between Georgetown and the present town of Marion. Among these families were Brittons, Davis, Flaglers, Giles, Graves and Tyler. At about the same time, and maybe on the same ship from England, came Captain John Godbold, a retired English sea captain. He moved farther up the Big Pee Dee and settled on Catfish Creek. The creek is southwest of and very near to the present city limits of Marion.
During its early colonial years the area was part of Craven County. When Craven was divided, this segment of land was placed in Georgetown District. In 1785, another division was made and the name "Liberty" was used for a short time to designate this area.
On December 17, 1847, when by an act of the South Carolina Legislature a charter was issued to the town, its official name was given as "Marion". The name honors General Francis Marion, a hero of the Revolutionary War
Marion is located at (34.180088, -79.397098).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.3 square miles (11 km2), all of it land.