The Greenville County portion of Piedmont is part of the Greenville-Mauldin-Easley Metropolitan Statistical Area, while the Anderson County portion is part of the AndersonMetropolitan Statistical Area.
|Piedmont, South Carolina|
Location of Piedmont, South Carolina
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (August 2008)|
After the American Revolution David Garrison Sr. settled in the South Carolina Indian Territory about 1786 at a place known to the Indians as "Big Shoals of the Saluda". The name of this location was changed to "Garrison Shoals" by David Sr. where he, along with son David Jr. owned a grist mill, tavern and 1,200 acres (4.9 km2) of land. The name was changed again, to "Piedmont", by the owner of the first successful cotton mill of the area, who had purchased the original mill's property from David Sr. The property was located between Piedmont andPelzer on Golden Grove Creek of the Saluda River, where Garrison appears on the 1790 Census. He is known as the founder of Piedmont.
Piedmont Manufacturing Company, which was organized in 1873 and began operation in 1876, was a textile mill that was one of the first large-scale cotton manufacturers in upstate South Carolina. It had considerable influence on the development of other mills in the area.
The 1915 film, Birth Of A Nation, was set here.
Piedmont is located in northern Anderson County and southwestern Greenville County at Greenville. Exit 35 on Interstate 85 is 2 miles (3 km) to the west of the center of Piedmont. (34.704140, -82.461427).It is 12 miles (19 km) south of the center of
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.8 square miles (22.7 km2), of which 8.6 square miles (22.3 km2) is land and 0.15 square miles (0.4 km2), or 1.93%, is water. The Saluda River flows southwards over a dam through the center of town.