|Smyrna, South Carolina|
Location of Smyrna, South Carolina
Incorporated in 1895, the town of Smyrna took its name from the Smyrna Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church that had been providing a place of worship to the local residents for fifty years.A railroad depot was built in 1888 by the Charleston, Cincinnati and Chicago Railroad, a forerunner to the Southern Railway, and then F.D. Horn built a mercantile business nearby. A grocery store, drug store, and dry goods store followed soon after. Next to be built were the Smyrna High School, a telegraph office, and a post office. The population was on a rise in Smyrna until the "West Road" was completed in 1924. With York now more accessible, many residents left Smyrna in hopes of finding happiness in a larger town. Soon after, the railroad depot was closed down, and all that remained of Smyrna were three businesses and the post office. Today only the post office remains.