|South Daytona, Florida|
Location in Volusia County and the state of Florida
South Daytona was once a town called Blake, with some 40 resident families and as many more non-resident property holders. Many of the early settlers were profitably engaged in orange culture and vegetable gardening. According to the National Archives in Washington, D.C., Blake opened its first post office on August 19, 1878. Around 1886, the first train came as far as Daytona, and ten years later the line was extended to Miami. Soon thereafter, a railroad station was built at Big Tree Crossing.
By 1926, the towns of Daytona, Daytona Beach, and Seabreeze were consolidated to make the city of Daytona Beach. Daytona Beach then proceeded to annex all the adjacent territories, including the town of Blake. Because of new taxes and appraisals levied, residents of Blake were forced to hire an attorney and eventually, around 1938, succeeded in breaking away from Daytona Beach to become the incorporated town of South Daytona.
Soon after World War II, the town adopted a Building Department, followed by a Planning and Zoning Board. Builders and developers soon became interested in the area, and South Daytona started to develop. South Daytona was then in a position to request financial assistance from the federal government for expansion of utilities, streets, etc. South Daytona was the second town in the Halifax area, after Daytona Beach, to install a sanitary sewer system. The town continued to prosper and was incorporated as the City of South Daytona in 1951. South Daytona has operated under a City Manager/Council form of government since 1980, with the Mayor and four council members serving four-year, staggered terms beginning in 1990.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5.0 square miles (13.0 km2). 3.7 square miles (9.6 km2) of it is land, and 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2) of it (26.29%) is water. There are nearly 44.5 miles (71.6 km) of roadway, 40 miles (64 km) of sewer lines, and 55 miles (89 km) of water lines throughout the city. The average elevation is 6.5 feet (2.0 m) above sea level.
As of the census of 2000, there were 13,177 people, 5,851 households, and 3,604 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,698.2 inhabitants per square mile (1,429.1/km²). There were 6,457 housing units at an average density of 1,812.2 per square mile (700.3/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 88.67%White, 7.85% African American, 0.12% Native American, 1.21% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.53% from other races, and 1.57% from two or more races. Hispanicor Latino of any race were 2.89% of the population.
There were 5,851 households out of which 25.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.4% were married couples living together, 13.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.4% were non-families. 29.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.24 and the average family size was 2.75.
In the city the population was spread out with 20.3% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 18.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 92.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 89.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,180, and the median income for a family was $36,417. Males had a median income of $27,500 versus $21,676 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,401. About 7.9% of families and 10.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.9% of those under age 18 and 7.8% of those age 65 or over.