South Houston is a city in the U.S. state of Texas, within Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land metropolitan area and Harris County. The population was 16,983 at the 2010 census. It is bordered by the cities of Houston and Pasadena.
Marker for the city of South Houston
Location of South Houston, Texas
|Coordinates: 29°39′40″N 95°13′47″W|
C.S. Woods of the Western Land Company founded the settlement of Dumont in 1907. A post office appeared in 1910. In 1913 Dumont was incorporated as the city of South Houston. Because of the 1913 incorporation, Houston did not incorporate South Houston's territory into its city limits, while Houston annexed surrounding areas that were unincorporated. South Houston's initial industrial activity consisted of shipping produce along the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad. The hurricane of 1915 destroyed many of the local industries. The establishment of the Houston Ship Channel resulted in the establishment of manufacturing industries inland, including in South Houston. Between the 1940s and the early 1960s South Houston found rapid population growth. The city had 7,523 inhabitants in 1960. In 1980 South Houston had 11,782 inhabitants and 303 businesses. In 1990 14,207 inhabitants lived in South Houston.
Elephants belonging to former South Houston mayor George Christy, a circus owner, assisted the construction of the Spencer Highway.
From the 1980 census to the 1990 census, Hispanics began to move into South Houston by an amount between 1,000 and 3,500 per square mile. Most Hispanics in South Houston were of Mexican descent.
South Houston is located at (29.660980, -95.229787).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 7.8 km², none of which is covered with water.
South Houston is served by the South Houston Branch of Harris County Public Library at 607 Avenue A. The first South Houston library opened in 1927. In 1937 money was raised to build a structure to house the library; this structure stands in a park next to the current library. In the 1950s the library moved into a building with a welfare office and a clinic. In 1967 the city purchased land and a barracks building from Ellington Field; the city then moved the library there, where it remained until 1991. The current 5,800 square feet (540 m2) branch opened in May 1991.
Walter Matthys Elementary School
L. F. Smith Elementary School
Pearl Hall Elementary School
South Houston Intermediate School
South Houston Municipal Court